Saturday, November 17, 2012

TATN with William C. Jackson - R.I.P., Twinkies - November 17, 2012

For those of us living under a rock, it was announced this week that Hostess, the company that makes Twinkies, Ding Dongs, and Wonder Bread, would be going out of business.  This may have come as an absolute shock to some, but for me, a major league junk food lover, I felt indifferent.

Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the snacks that Hostess produced, but it has been a long time since I really consumed them on a regular basis, if I really did that at all.  Nowadays, I like granola bars (which I don't think really qualifies as junk food), Butter Crunch cookies, and Caramel Creams, among other things.  I just have not given much thought to buying anything Hostess makes.

I do feel bad for those who are going to lose their jobs, some of which are based here in Bridgeport, Connecticut, according to News 12 Connecticut.  Even one union head that the station interviewed said that he would have a hard time finding new jobs for his members because no company is hiring. And this could not happen at a worse time...the holiday season is upon us; what will these folks do?

Snack food lovers all over the world can hope that other companies buy the rights to make the now-defunct Hostess' famed products, but personally, I don't know if it's going to happen.

I sympathize with those who like Hostess' stuff.  I really do.  It's not the end of the world, however.

Let me know what you think of this in the comments section below, and perhaps tell me what your favorite Hostess snack was as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment