Friday, November 9, 2012

TATN with William C. Jackson - November 9, 2012

Hello, everyone in the blogosphere... My name is William C. Jackson, and this is the first of what I hope will be many commentaries from my brand new blog, called "Talking About The News."  I decided to start a blog because I watch a whole lot of television news (You know what that's like, right?).  And because I watch a whole lot of television news, I feel like I am informed enough to express opinions on any given story that pops up.  It doesn't hurt that I also have news apps on my Blackberry, so I can comment quickly on breaking news as well.

Commenting on stories that make the news is not foreign to me.  As an undergrad at Hunter College in New York City, I was required to keep a journal for a writing class I took.  I did not know what to write about, and I certainly was not about to discuss my emotions, so I came up with a brilliant idea...Watch the local and national television news, and then write my opinion on any given stories that catch my eye.  Of course, this was not limited to political news.  I also wrote opinion on crime stories and sometimes entertainment stories as well.  My professor required that at least two entries per week be written in the journal.  I could imagine her surprise that I was pumping out four or five entries per week based upon stuff that I saw on the news, and a lot was happening in the fall of 2005.

Seven years later, this is the objective of "Talking About The News."  I want to write timely commentary on the things I see in the news, whether it be local, national, or global; crime, politics, or show business.  I want everyone who reads my commentaries to take something from them, hopefully, that I brought a fresh set of ideas to the table, and not recycled old ones.  I want to be known not only as a good writer, but one who has a firm grasp of the subjects that I will discuss.

I am not doing this for profit; this is something that I did when I was in college the first time (I am now a graduate student at Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, Connecticut), which I absolutely loved doing.  Not only did I learn how to write better, I feel that I learned how to communicate more effectively, at least on paper.  I think my professor would be proud that I am taking this idea I had from the fall of 2005 and starting a commentary blog based upon it.

I also want to be a journalist, mainly on television, and I strongly believe that "Talking About The News" will help me find a job within the media industry.  If I could prove my worth to YOU, my readers, I believe that will be the case with a company like NBC or CNN.

I want to remind you that this is the first post on this blog.  Now that I have introduced myself to you (somewhat), the real work begins.  I will watch the local news on (mostly) every channel I can get, waiting for a story that grabs my attention.  Once that happens, watch out--literally!  I will be on here, letting you know what I think of it.  Some posts will be longer than others, obviously.  Finally, don't be surprised if I am on here almost every day...As I said before, at times in my writing class, I was writing almost every day of the week.

I will stop here.  I will have to go out and promote "Talking About The News," which I believe will be the world's next great opinion blog!  If you are reading this, and you like what you see, share it with your family, friends, even your pets.  I'll be here again soon, but I wouldn't be surprised if "soon" was as early as tonight.  Until then....


UPDATE...I had to change the name of my blog to "Talking About The News."  Apparently, "Jackson's Junction" is the name of a rock band.  And I'm not trying to get sued, so there you go.



1 comment:

  1. This is great Will. Can't wait to see future installments!

    ReplyDelete